Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Oh The Places You Will Go

It never ceases to amaze me how many worlds we can go to when we read a good book. I have to stop myself when I begin a new story, make sure I have my "reader" hat on, not my "writer" hat. Since becoming a full time writer, it's difficult to read for pleasure. I find little things that bug me, and sometimes it takes me out of a good story.

And I find this with both NYC published as well as Indie published books. Ebooks as well as print books.

So, I have to remind myself, reading is enjoyment. And when I can do this, it works. I like to go where the author wants me to go, not where I necessarily want to. I want to see if she/he will bring me along without breaking the thread of my interest.

I have certain books I've analyzed and highlighted up, chopped and put into spiral books. Some because they are perfect, some because they make some classic mistakes I want to remember NOT to do.

I'm also a very slow reader, so it plays fits with me when I edit. Takes forever. The writing happens fast and fluid, but the editing, it is the bane of my existence, in some cases. So I need to read more. Feel the pulse of the books more. Lightly travel over the plot and the characters rather than hang on every word. Except for the good parts, of course. Just like I hope readers find in my books.

My early fascination with paranormal (and I still love them) was mostly due to the world building. All the characters with their special powers and super body parts. Ahem. Searing hot kisses and nights of lovemaking that can make us weak at the knees. Well, it worked for me, anyway.

But lately, I've been attracted to the military romances, since the release last week of Accidental SEAL and SEAL Encounter. The world building continues, but in a more interior way. Psychological world building into the hearts and minds of these real-life heroes, that I fictionalize. Let me be clear, these guys ARE fiction, pure fiction. But in romance we like to take them over the top and make them almost super human. And then let them play in the real world with ordinary bad guys and the women who come across their path. I love that.

Either way, paranormal or contemporary, I'm all in for the ride. I love to read. I love to write. I want to be taken away to a fantasy land that I've never seen before.

What about you? What kinds of places do you go in your favorite books? I guess the better question is, do you ever come back?

4TH of JULY CONTEST: LEAVE A COMMENT ON THIS BLOG POST IN JULY AND BE ENTERED TO WIN A NEW KINDLE FIRE ON AUGUST 1ST. You can also get 3 extra points for leaving a review on either/or Goodreads or Amazon or any other review site, and send me the link to that review. You can get 2 extra points for following this blog.

Happy reading. Happy commenting. Happy reviewing.

Sharon Hamilton


Life is one fool thing after another.
Love is two fool things after each other.
Accidental SEAL   SEAL Encounter    all at Amazon


13 comments:

  1. Sometimes I tear other books apart, too, when I'm reading. But I really try to turn off my internal editor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Shelly. So true. I have to remind myself like every 10 minutes too!! Hard to do sometimes.

      You're entered in the Kindle Fire giveaway. Tell all your friends!

      Delete
  2. Where did you get those amazing photos? Oh! So gorgeous!
    I do try to remove my writer's hat when reading - but it's not always possible. Usually if the story is good that's all it takes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia, I save photos I see on FB or other places when I Google, and then use them later on. I subscribe to some photo sites that post things. Sometimes even ads give me good things. Like travel sites and ads. Anywhere!

      And occasionally, I (yes my dear, Moi) take a good photo or two. Now that's rare...

      Best compliment I can get from an editor is they forgot they were editing. Then I know I got there, for at least part of the book.

      Delete
  3. Hi Sharon, very nice to find your blog and your contest. I've followed the blog. And working to get that Goodreads review together. Be back :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie. Glad to have you here. I've got some funny stuff on earlier posts, so be sure to check things out, too. I have great fun (when I have the time) exploring other people's sites. There's gold in them thar hills!!

      Looking forward to your review, but just thanks for being here.

      Delete
  4. Same here, need to remember to remove the editor hat when I read for pleasure. Someone super-glued it to my hair though. :( lol. Though I think a really great book is one that doesn't turn on the editor hat to begin with. *wink*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that vision: editor's hat super-glued to your hair. That's me.

      And yes, it's what every writer wants, when people don't notice the words, but focus, instead on the story. Or LIVE inside the story, I should say.

      Delete
  5. Love those pictures. I love visiting new places and new perspectives. The editor never shuts up. I actually prefer the editing process. The initial writing is getting the general story down. The editing is enriching and making it better. Editing is about finding the right word. In the words of Mark Twain: "The difference the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy, you are so right about the lightning and the lightning bug. I'm having to learn that. I do get there, eventually, but have to wrestle my psyche down and hog tie her before I get there. Some ADD thing in me. I'm taking a speed reading class to help with that, because I really think it is a learning disability.

      You have something in common with Diana Gabaldon (and Julia Barrett above, because she and I have talked about this). Diana Gabaldon LOVES the editing because she says it "polishes all the jewels" in the story.

      Delete
  6. I read whenever I can--I listen to my audiobooks while driving to and from work, or anywhere. While I'm waiting for the office to open, I'm reading a book, too. I love fantasy stories above anything because they take me to awesome new worlds:)
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I should get more audiobooks, but find them expensive for me now. But I agree, listening to the tempo and rhythm of the spoken word helps me write and really gets me into the story. I love listening to books when I garden too.

    Nice to see you here, Nutschell!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like to read books in different settings and genres.

    bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete