Thursday, April 4, 2013

D is for DUTY

Welcome to day 4 of the A-Z Blog Challenge.

D is for Duty. Visited one of the offices of the Wounded Warrior Project in Fayetteville. The words on the bottom of their card read: Duty, Honor, Courage, Commitment, Integrity, Country, Service.

This group often is the first bit of contact, outside of the military, a wounded U.S. Serviceman or woman receives when they come stateside. Sadly, it is sometimes the only connection they have. When they are first recuperating from their injuries, they receive support from this volunteer organization on behalf of all of us. There is also a package that can be given to a loved one who comes to be with the injured vet.

You can find more about this wonderful organization here.  There are several branch offices all over the U.S. Take a tour, learn about what you can do. Get involved, if you can. Make a difference for someone you don't even know.

I also walked through the Veterans Memorial Park in Fayetteville--a stunning and somber tribute to all those who made the ultimate sacrifice. Every branch of the Armed Services was represented there in a stunning display of granite, glass, steel, remnants of military equipment and quotes from leaders going back to George Washington. His quote I love, "The courage of life is often a less dramatic spectacle than the courage of a final moment. But it is no less a magnificant mixture of triumph and tragedy."




It's truly hard to tell you how I feel about all of this, other than to say I'm grateful. Very grateful. And I plan to enjoy the freedoms I've been given all the more by remembering those who helped give me that gift.

Don't forget to catch the other A-Z Blog participants by clicking here




8 comments:

  1. Its so poignant, to see and read about all injured servicemen and women. Bless them all

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say thank you so much...I live in Fayetteville, and know the importance of the wounded warriors and the fisher house(lori southerland (Gold Star Mother) works there is a wonderful lady and personal friend. I was at the opening of the Veterans Park with my husband who is a Marine Veteran and the Vice Commandant of the Marine Corps League here in Fayetteville. The Veterans Park is a wonderful place for veterans to relax and remember... There are so many great organizations in Fayetteville which help and informs veterans on how to get the care and support they need from the VA Hospital(sometimes can be a headache).

    I am proud to be a marine wife and support my local wounded warriors, gold star mothers, fisher house, Marine Corps League & Toys for Tots. If it wasn't for some of these programs our military families would be lost.

    As a reader & fan, daughter of two retired army soldiers(Daddy is Disabled Veteran,Step-Dad(raised me) was Special Forces), and wife of a marine veteran with PTSD and other war related issues. I want to say thank you for your time and i hope you enjoyed your time in Fayetteville.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanette, your words have touched me beyond measure. We left Fayetteville this morning and flew to West Palm Beach to visit the SEAL/UDT Museum. I have another post tomorrow about that visit.

      You are indeed raised and bred from good stock. Thank you for your service, for your love and devotion to these fine warriors. I share some of those things in common with you. It is something I feel is my great honor to do.

      Perhaps next time in Fayetteville, we'll be able to connect. I plan to be back there sometime this year.

      God Bless you and your family. And thank them for me.

      Delete
    2. Next time your in fayetteville, let me know i would love to meet you and give you a hug for supporting our military.

      Delete